Open Position - Bay Area Legal Aid
Bay Area Legal Aid is now looking for a new Director of Information Technology. If you know someone who might be interested please be sure to pass this along.
If you prefer it in pdf form the application can be found here.
Bay Area Legal Aid
Director of Information Technology – Central Support, Oakland
Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) has an exciting leadership position for an experienced and enthusiastic professional to serve as its Director of Information Technology (DIT). Supported by an excellent Board and Leadership Team, BayLegal staff members provide critical legal services for the poorest and most vulnerable residents in seven Bay Area counties. The DIT will have an exceptional opportunity to help maintain, design, strategically grow, and direct BayLegal’s technology solutions to effectively support our team.
Position: This position is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of BayLegal’s information technology systems and telecommunication systems for our seven-office law firm. Additionally, the DIT administers and serves as the primary point person for the support of BayLegal's client case management database system. The DIT will oversee desktop support personnel and ensure that trouble tickets submitted by staff receive timely responses. The DIT is also responsible for working closely with advocates and attorneys alike to determine and assess their needs.
• Develop, recommend, and implement short-term and long-range strategic technology architecture and initiatives
• Manage backup processes to ensure 24/7 operation of application servers and databases
• Manage virtualized server environment (presently under VMWARE)
• Assess and implement network and system design solutions in order to eliminate downtime for the organization
• Assess, and if appropriate, design and implement transition from local office-based server and storage solution to a managed, hosted, or co-located solution, including providing an analysis of existing points of failure, drafting the systems design, and implementing an upgrade plan
• Develop, recommend, and implement policy for the use of technology in the delivery of legal services through collaboration with other members of the leadership team
• Prepare, manage, and report on technology-focused grants, in consultation with Grants and Development Team
• Oversee maintenance of telecommunication network, IT infrastructure, and Internet connectivity
• Develop, recommend, and implement standards for equipment and software acquisition, installation, and use
• Develop and implement solutions for program-wide computer training
• Collaborate with Finance Team to develop, recommend, and administer annual budget for technology
• Negotiate, administer, and monitor contracts for equipment, software, services, training, and other technology-related matters
• Supervise the provision of local office desktop support and network administration in local offices
• Hire and manage technology professionals and/or consultants
• Communicate the technology vision of BayLegal to staff and other stakeholders
• Keep up-to-date on the trends and advances in the utilization of technology in the provision of legal services
About the Successful Candidate:
• Bachelor of Science or advanced degree in computer science
• At least five years of progressively increasing responsibilities including project management, managing technical support provider/outside support vendors and organizational planning for technology solutions
• Microsoft systems administration certifications
• Demonstrated expertise with Windows Server, Exchange and MSSQL, including demonstrated knowledge of Windows security
• Demonstrated experience in management of virtualized server environments
• Proficiency with Citrix XenApp server administration and VPN administration
• Knowledge of high availability, fault tolerance, and disaster recovery for database and application servers
• Knowledge, implementation, and maintenance of CRM programs
• Experience with MPLS networks
• Hands-on, results-oriented problem solver with excellent time management skills
• Inquisitive and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done while still managing/overseeing multiple projects
• Strong organizational, language, and communication skills
• Positive attitude, with ability to work independently and as part of a team
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is based on experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; long term disability; paid vacation and sick leave; and 401k retirement plan.
Applications: Bay Area Legal Aid thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Please send cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample to: David McGee, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com. Please reference Director of IT in your application.
About Bay Area Legal Aid
Bay Area Legal Aid's (BayLegal) mission is to provide high quality legal assistance regardless of a client's location, language, or disability. Since our founding in 2000 as a regional poverty law firm, Bay Area Legal Aid has earned a strong reputation for outstanding legal services and advocacy. We are the largest provider of free civil legal services to low-income residents of the San Francisco Bay Area, with seven regional offices serving the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara. From Napa Valley to Silicon Valley, Bay Area Legal Aid ensures fairness in the civil justice system for the most vulnerable members of our community. We help our clients protect their livelihoods, their health, and their families. BayLegal's 100+ staff members provide wraparound legal services in housing preservation, domestic violence/sexual assault, family law, immigration, economic security, consumer protection, healthcare access, and youth justice.